Saturday, February 26, 2011

The disease called “Perfection”

Today on Facebook, my sister in law posted a link to an amazing article. Thank you Michelle, I may have never seen it if you didn’t. I seem to be one of the last people on the planet to hear about Single Dad Laughing.  I really hope that you will take a little time to read the article. Pay attention to what you are thinking & feeling while you are reading.

The article is named, The disease called “Perfection”.  It’s a beautiful fairytale that always leaves you hating yourself.

…What is the disease called "Perfection"? Perhaps a list of its real-life symptoms will help you better understand it. We live in communities where people feel unconquerable amounts of pressure to always appear perfectly happy, perfectly functional, and perfectly figured. "Perfection" is much different than perfectionism. The following examples of "Perfection" are all real examples that I have collected from experiences in my own life, from confidential sources, or from my circle of loved ones and friends. If you actually stop to think about some of these, you will cry as I did while writing it. If you don't, maybe you're infected with way too much of this "Perfection" infection.

"Perfection" is a wife who feels trapped in a marriage to a lazy, angry, small man, but at soccer practice tells the other wives how wonderful her husband always is. "Perfection" keeps people from telling the truth, even to themselves. My husband is adorable. He called me a whore this week because I smiled at a stranger. When I started crying, he said he had a game to go watch. I love him so much.{Read the entire article}

Go on,  finish reading the article. Then come back here so I can share with you my imperfections. At least the ones I dare to share.

Let me “Be Real”

-I judge people. It seems ridiculous to me that I do this, since I live a life that leaves me wide open for others to judge me.

-I raise my voice out of frustration far too often at my daughter.

-I get so annoyed by my husband sometimes that the mere sound of his voice makes me want to scream.

-I, internally, blame my husband for our financial situation. In reality, I could just go get a full-time job to help out.

-I’m selfish. This is one of the reasons that we’re not having anymore children.

 

Okay, that’s enough sharing for now. I don’t want to scare all of you away!

If you still reading, (I know this wasn’t a fun crafty post) then thank you for taking the time. I hope that the article was able to help you in your life or inspire you to reach out to someone you feel may be struggling. I really enjoyed reading this & I’ll be re-reading it when I’m feeling too imperfect. The key is to remember that we all are.

Thank you for visiting. Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I know I struggle with this too! Thank you so much for sharing and opening up honestly, which can be so hard to do. I shared this on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was such a great article to reflect on ourselves and not only acknowledge the fact that it's okay that WE'RE not perfect, but to also notice the things that we do to others when they're not perfect. I share a lot of the same imperfections with you. I totally judge people (but, since reading the article, I'm trying to notice the positive things about people instead of the negative). I feel like I'm really selfish - Jake is SO much more selfLESS than me, which is why we work so well. I really try to be less selfish when it comes to my kids, but it's not always easy. It's hard to put down the computer and go play games with them because I'm so selfish. It's something I'm really trying to work on. And it makes me feel guilty when I don't do it.

    There you go, I've unloaded some of my stuff right here on your blog!!! It feels good to get that stuff off your chest, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I had a sharing moment last week, and it was HARD!!! But I felt so much better after I hit publish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this article! I have a huuuuge huge issue with perfectionism. So much so that I delete things before I even finish writing them. Rough drafts make me feel like crap - if it doesn't come out "perfect" the first time I give up and move on to something that will come out to my standards. um... this is horrible!

    Thanks so much for posting this - everytime I read something on perfectionism it helps me mucho =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a BIG deal to share those Inperfections with us. We all have Em! I also just found your blog and now follow. I to am running the wasatch back relay in June. I am a Utah girl. I havent ran it before but hey the training is good for me.

    thanks and come enter my Giveaway if you'd like
    chickhardware.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog & taking the time to leave some kind words. I appreciate all of your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...